background

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Meet Millie

Ever since my dog Max spent a month with my parents' dog Ringo at the holidays, I've been considering the idea of getting another dog. You can see the pictures of Max and Ringo meeting at Thanksgiving here. Then I came across a group in San Diego called Holly's Garden Rescue. The non-profit resues small breed dogs (mostly Maltese, Shih Tzus and Lhasa Apso) from shelters to find them good homes.

I saw one dog's picture in particular (they named her Cupcake) and I knew I had to meet her. On Sunday I brought Max with me to the foster home she was staying at. They instantly got along, rolling and wrestling in the yard together. She was so sweet and jumped right into my lap. I knew that she was a great fit for Max and I. They told me that she was a stray picked up by an animal shelter in San Bernadino, CA. It is a high-kill shelter that euthanizes dogs after only 5 (not even full) days in the shelter. She was rescued just in time. I've read up about the shelter, and they have some horror stories about how the animals are treated. It just breaks my heart. I'm so grateful that she was found and put up for adoption. 

From Holly's Garden's 



From our first visit meeting Millie

I went home and thought about for a couple of days and then on Tuesday night I adopted her. Max and her instantly started playing. I knew then that it was the right decision. I spent most of yesterday thinking about dog names, because I knew Cupcake had to go! After lots of great suggestions from friends and co-workers, I settled on Millie. I think it fits her well. She loves to cuddle and is very active and energetic. She is a maltese mix, but I think she looks a lot like Max! What do you think?


They are already best buds. I never had a dog until I got Max 3 years ago. And now I couldn't imagine my life without dogs. Whenever you're having a bad day, it's impossible not to be cheered up by these faces!


No comments:

Post a Comment