background

Monday, February 27, 2012

Monday Musings: Time Flies

I will try to make this a regular Monday post, with my musings for the day. 

Musing: noun
1. Contemplation; meditation.
2. A product of contemplation; a thought. 

I've been thinking a lot lately about how fast time goes by. My 10 year high school reunion will be this fall. (How did that happen?) I'm helping to plan it, and it's so crazy to think I was in high school a decade ago! I've stayed close with many of my high school friends, and I am so lucky to have friends like them that have been a part of my life for so long. I've now been to many of their weddings and some have even had babies. It doesn't seem like that long ago we were gossiping about boys and picking out dresses for the Prom.

Me and my best girlfriends at Senior Prom (I'm the short one on the far left.)

I'm really excited to see my friends in October and catch up with people that I haven't seen since graduation. Being from a small town, I see a lot of childhood friends when I'm home for the holidays. But as we've gotten older and moved further away, I see less and less of them. But no matter how long it's been, we always catch up where we left off. That's the wonderful thing about old friends.

My brother Nick is graduating from Clemson, my alma mater, in a few monthes. It's very hard to believe it's been 6 years since my college graduation. I'm flying back to South Carolina in May for the big event. It will be kind of surreal to see him walk across the same stage I crossed, what doesn't seem that long ago. It's been so fun to see him have many of the same college experiences that I had - from football games, campus ministry, a Spring Break trip to Germany, to the same college bars. And now to see him graduate! I'm really lucky to have had the education and college experience that I did. And I made some lifelong friends along the way. 


And it's also hard to believe that almost two years have passed since I made the trip across country to move to San Diego. I find myself sometimes willing time to slow down. I get so caught up in the day to day, that before I know it a month has passed, then several, and then a whole year. Time is a precious thing and there's never enough of it. But it's important to be thankful for the time we do have and try to make it count as much as possible. I find that I all too often say that I'll get around to doing things. So, my resolution this year is to actually get around to them! There's no time like the present.


I find sometimes that a song, a picture or conversation can make those old times feel like they just happened. This is one of my favorite songs, I Go Back by Kenny Chesney. 




What are some of your favorite high school or college memories? 

No comments:

Post a Comment